Foot diseases and injuries are quite common issues that most people tend to neglect unless it turns out to be severe. Since infections and problems in the foot region are not chronic in nature, they can be treated under basic medications and care. However, prolonged negligence of such issues can lead to serious conditions such as cancer which would require advanced treatments and surgeries. Advancements in the field of medical sciences have led to specialized branches of medicine aimed at treating specific health problems. One such specialized branch of medicine is Podiatry which is devoted to the study, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the foot and adjoining areas. Advanced treatments like diabetic foot care, bunion treatment, and athletes foot treatment in Montreal are offered by Podiatry clinics that ensure quick relief and permanent riddance from foot problems and diseases.
Who is a Podiatrist?
A Podiatrist is a doctor that specializes in treating issues mainly in the foot region which includes the ankle, feet, and lower legs. People suffering from pain, irritation, or any infection in the lower legs can visit a Podiatrist to seek immediate relief and long-term solutions to such issues. A podiatrist has the expertise in dealing with a wide range of issues concerning the foot and ankle regions such as sports injury, skin problems, or any medical conditions. They also aid in the restoration of normal foot functions that were disrupted post an injury or surgery. Amongst the varied medical diagnosis and treatments offered by Podiatrists, nail fungus treatment Canada is a popular one that cures infections caused by microscopic fungi.
Fungal nail infections: Why are they caused?
Fungal nail infection is a common condition that affects the toenails and makes them brittle and discolored. Onychomycosis, a medical term for this condition occurs due to the overgrowth of fungi in and around the nails. The presence of such fungus in the nail areas tends to increase when exposed to constant warmth and moisture. These are infectious in nature that can be spread further with physical contact.
The causes behind such fungal nail infections are varied that require specialized treatment. There’s no such preventive measure to avoid fungal infections as they are present everywhere around our bodies. High concentrated presence of these tiny organisms can lead to infections and result in conditions like jock itch, athletes foot, ringworm, nail fungus, etc. Interestingly, it has been found that nail fungal infections are more common in men as compared to women and more in adults as compared to children. Also, aged people are at more risk due to poorer circulation and nail growth. You are at a higher risk of getting a fungal infection in the following cases:
- Poor circulation
- Aged 60 or above
- Weak immune system
- Suffered a nail or foot injury
- Moist fingers or toes for an extended time period
- Prolonged exposure to common waters such as swimming pools
- Wear false or artificial nails
Common symptoms of fungal nail infection
Since there’s no severity in the initial stage of a nail fungal infection, the symptoms may be mild and often unnoticeable. Different symptoms have been observed in patients that vary depending on the degree of infection, the person’s daily activities, and their attention toward foot health. A few very common symptoms of a fungal nail infection that is a clear indication for you to opt for a nail fungus treatment in Canada include the following:
- A yellow or white spot under the nails that may change into other colors such as green and black as it starts to spread.
- Thickened nails that get hard to trim.
- Distorted nails that may curl up or loosen from the nail bed.
- Misshapen nails
- Unpleasant odor
- In some cases, it may get slightly painful and cause discomfort.
Treatments for fungal nail infection
Similar to athletes foot treatment in Montreal, there are a variety of medical treatments available for curing a nail infection. Typically, over-the-counter medicines are not suggested in case of fungal nail infections as they are not effective and reliable. If you observe any of the above-listed symptoms or feel discomfort in the nails or foot region, visiting a Podiatrist is a must. They assess the condition well and offer adequate anti-fungal medicines or treatment to get rid of the infection permanently. Some of the common treatments suggested for a fungal nail infection are:
- Oral drugs: Oral anti-fungal drugs are one of the best ways to get rid of fungal infections. These involve taking oral pills or medicines to kill the fungus present in your whole body.
- Nail polish: These are medicines that can be brushed onto the nails that are not as effective as oral drugs. However, these are suggested in cases of mild to moderate infections and are mostly supported by oral drugs for quick healing.
- Surgeries: Prolonged nail fungal infections can damage the nails completely that cannot be restored through oral drugs or nail polishes. In such cases, the doctor usually suggests a minor surgery wherein the nail is completely removed and a healthy one grows back in place.
Abdul Qadeer is highly experienced in creating engaging content that adds real value to a blog, website, or brand. He is creating content for multiple niches like technology, SEO, Marketing, Health, Education and Career Development, etc.